Member of the Node.js Build Team
Escrito por: Ulises GascónNov 04, 2022 — 3 min read
The Node.js Build Working Group maintains and controls infrastructure used for continuous integration (CI), releases, benchmarks, web hosting (of nodejs.org and other Node.js web properties) and more.
Our mission is to provide Node.js Project and libuv with solid computing infrastructure in order to improve the quality of the software itself by targeting correctness, speed and compatibility and to ensure streamlined delivery of binaries and source code to end-users.
- Joined the team in Nov'22 to provide support to MacOs machines in testing environment.
- Added Orka machines to increase MacOS availability in testing environment.
- Maintain Ansible Scripts for macOS
- Maintain Github Actions pipelines
- Fix, redeploy and re-ansible all the Orka machines after a host upgrade
- Patching machines to unblock collaborators and releases due hard disk limits and caches, sporadic downtimes, Recover release VMs, Orka Nodes recovery, among others.
- Recover all the macstadium machines
- Initiative to drop MacOS 10.x support
- Initiative to Visualize machines in Grafana, based in this POC
- Provide support to the Performance Team in order to fix flaky and broken tests
- Participate in the build and platform requirements for Node.js 20
- Introduce Terraform in the Node.js organization to manage Cloudflare infrastructure
- Lead the integration for MacOS 12.x and 13.x in our infrastructure and redesign the VMs distribution for CI and releases
- Review PRs and triage issues related to the build team.
- Published a Github Action into the marketplace to monitor Jenkins with alerts. Jenkins-alert repo was transferred to the Node.js Org
- Joined the Jenkins admins group in April'23
- Decommission the MacOS 14.x machines
- Lead the transition to the notarytool for signing MacOS binaries
- Build an automation for Mailgun aliases and domains in the build team
- I was granted access to infrastructure and release resources in Jul'23 to support the team regarding resource management.
- Provide technical support for the infrastructure migration from Cloudflare to Vercel for the Node.js website. More details and historical context
- Recover all the windows machines after a Jenkins upgrade.
- Onboard the Linux Foundation IT & Ops team to the Node.js project in order to transfer some of the responsibilities and tasks from the Node.js Build WG.
- Participate in the discussions and the implementation of the new Binaries distribution long term solution. More details
- Lead and build a project to monitor the Node.js Binaries that are consumed by the community (NVM, Github Actions, installers...)
- Build a check system to monitor the R2 migration for all the binaries.
- Actively participating in multiple initiatives: Pull requests, commits, issues
The WG impact
Meetings that I leaded
- 2024-01-30 Meeting notes, agenda and video
- 2024-01-10 Meeting notes, agenda and video
- 2023-11-29 Meeting notes, agenda and video
- 2023-09-26 Meeting notes, agenda and video
- 2023-07-04 Meeting notes, agenda and video
- 2023-05-23 Meeting notes, agenda and video
- 2023-04-11 Meeting notes, agenda and video